The MNA is directed and run by the membership with an elected board of directors and a grassroots organizational structure. With regional councils in five different regions of the state, members have an opportunity to become involved in the MNA on local issues and concerns. The MNA also provides members with an opportunity to influence nursing and other healthcare issues on a national level.
The membership structures of the MNA varies to meet the changing needs of the growing nursing community and healthcare culture. Most members fall into one of the following categories.
Policy on Annual Rate of Dues
The annual rate of dues shall be equal to two times the base hourly rate which shall not be less than the minimum rate set by the average of all step one hourly rates (x2) of all MNA collective bargaining scales in effect as of January 1st of the applicable year and not greater than the maximum rate set by the average of all step seven hourly rates (x2) of all MNA collective bargaining scales in effect as of January 1st of the applicable year. Such minimum and maximum rates shall not be less than the prior year and shall take effect as of July 1st of the applicable year.
Reduced Dues Categories
a. Subject to verification, members who qualify for one of the following
categories may elect to pay 75% of their applicable dues rate:
(1) Health professional labor program member – any health care professional, other than a registered nurse, who is represented for purposes of collective bargaining by MNA will pay 75% of the minimum annual rate of dues;
(2) Limited hours labor program member – any labor program member who is represented for purposes of collective bargaining by MNA and who has 988 or fewer hours paid in the preceding calendar year may elect to pay 75% of their annual rate of dues.
It is the responsibility of any registered nurse to verify to the satisfaction of MNA on an annual basis his/her eligibility for 75% dues category within any of the foregoing categories by April 1st of each year. Upon receipt of such verification of eligibility in the prior calendar year, the member shall receive the reduced dues rate effective the following July 1st through June 30th. A member may qualify under only one of the foregoing categories in any given year.
b. Subject to verification, members who qualify for the following category may
elect to pay 100% of the minimum annual dues:
(1) Registered Nurse who is not an MNA labor program member.
c. Subject to verification, members who qualify for one of the following
categories may elect to pay 50% of their annual dues:
(1) Nurses who are not employed.
(2) Registered nurse students in full time study.
(3) Graduates of nursing programs for the first two years of
membership, if initiated within six months following graduation.
(4) Members 62 years of age or over and not earning more than the Social Security System allows.
d. Subject to verification, members who qualify for one of the following
categories may elect to pay 25% of the minimum annual dues:
(1) Members who are 62 years of age or over and not employed.
(2) Members who are totally disabled.
e. Any members whose eligibility for 25 percent or 50 percent dues categories
changes within the membership year will neither be assessed additional
dues nor be eligible for reduction of dues during that membership year.
Membership dues may be paid in a variety of ways. To learn more about dues, download the MNA Quick Guide to Dues.
Or please call the MNA Membership Department at 800.882.2056 or email email@example.com
As part of a strategic effort, the MNA procures monthly membership dues through Electronic Fund Transfers (EFT Direct) directly from member checking or credit card accounts. This is the preferred payment plan and there is no fee.