Latest Flu News from the CDC
Attached are key points from the CDC regarding ongoing investigations of cases of influenza H3N2v and H1N2v virus infections in the United States. Information about these investigations is available in FluView, and on CDC’s Influenza H3N2v web site.
The CDC continues to emphasize that anyone at high risk of serious flu complications and who is planning to attend a fair this season where pigs will be present should avoid all pigs and swine barns.
Recently, a few states issued press releases related to the ongoing H3N2v and H1N2v case investigations. Web links to these press releases are provided below.
- Minnesota Department of Health: “Three human cases of influenza linked to swine exposure at State Fair” (Aug. 31)
- Pennsylvania Department of Health: “Department of Health Reports Additional Cases of New Flu Strain” PDF (Aug. 31)
- Ohio Department of Health: “Ohio Documents First H3N2v-Associated Death” MS Word (Aug. 31)
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services “State health officials report increase in influenza cases linked to state, county fair attendance” (Aug. 30)
- Minnesota Department of Health: “Additional case of variant flu strain reported in state” (Aug. 29)