Position: Director of Nursing
Massachusetts Nurses Association
Title: Director of Nursing/Health and Safety/Labor Education
Date: April 2021
Reports to: Executive Director
Submit cover letter and resume to Robin Gannon, Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, position available immediately. MNA is an AA/EEO employer.
The Director, as a member of the MNA Management Team, is responsible for managing the functions of the Association related to Nursing; Health and Safety and Labor Education. The Director is responsible for the Divisions’ collaboration with other Association Divisions in meeting the goals of the Organization.
- Responsible for the general administration of the Division of Nursing; Health and Safety and Labor Education ensuring their function.
- Develops, implements and evaluates short and long-term goals of the Division.
- Responsible for the administrations of the ANCC Provider Program and ANSI/IACET Standard for Continuing Education and Training Program.
- Identifies and establishes new programs in conjunction with staff and volunteer membership.
- Develops feedback mechanisms to evaluate Division activities.
- Recommends policies/position statements relative to professional nursing practice to the Executive Director.
- Recommends policies/position statements relative to Health and Safety and Labor Education to the Executive Director.
- Promotes communications to staff and membership regarding the activities of the Division of Nursing.
- Participates as a member of the management team in Director’s meetings, Labor/Management Committee and in negotiations with the Guild and PEU staff unions.
- Holds regularly scheduled staff meetings with professional and support staff.
- Reports activities of Management and Board of Directors to staff and members on a regular basis.
- Submits monthly report to the Executive Director/Board of Directors.
- Responsible for effective personnel administration within the Divisions to achieve maximum employee productivity; and to ensure adherence to human resource policies as well as the PEU/Guild contracts.
- Recruits and selects personnel for the Divisions with approval of the Executive Director.
- Develops/revises position descriptions for the Divisions in collaborations with the Executive Director and the PEU/Guild contracts.
- Evaluates Division staff according to defined duties and responsibilities of positions and the PEU/Guild contracts.
- Encourages education/development opportunities for staff for maximum performance.
- Prepares annual budget for Division in a timely manner and in conjunctions with projected income.
- Oversees Health and Safety and Labor Education budget with Health and Safety and Educator staff.
- Operates budget within budgetary guidelines, providing justification for variances. Advises Executive Director of variances in advance of these occurrences, whenever possible.
- Acts as a resource and provides consultation for Division staff.
- Maintains an environment that contributes to the goals of the Association.
- Initiates and implements change in Division, providing ongoing communication to staff for smooth transition.
- Consistently demonstrates tact and courtesy in all communication.
- Accepts change with a positive attitude.
- Takes responsibility for Division decisions.
- Provides direction to staff in workload allocation.
- Enables all staff to participate in decentralized decision making.
- Refers unusual decisions to the Executive Director for consultation.
Professional Development (Personal/Professional)
- Evaluates own performance in annual evaluation with Executive Director.
- Takes responsibility for professional growth (self) in conjunction with annual goals.
- Registered Nurse, licensed in Massachusetts.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing required.
- Masters in Labor, Education desired.
- Current knowledge of nursing issues.
- Current knowledge of health and safety and labor issues.
- Knowledge of public policy/regulatory issues.
- Volunteer in membership organization preferred.
- Documented effective communication skills.
- Documented collaborative skills in a variety of settings.
- Effective speaking skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Time management and work organization.
- Ability to function in complex situations with minimal direction.