Highlights from Board of Directors Meeting: December 2012
- Alan McDonald, MNA Legal Counsel, reviewed the fiduciary responsibilities of Board members. He went over the duty of care and the duty of loyalty, as well as state and federal labor laws.
- The BOD approved matching Unit 7’s $2,500 donation to COFAR (the Massachusetts Coalition of Families and Advocates). The BOD also approved a $5,000 donation to MassCare.
- Matt O’Neill and Harold Hubschman reviewed the ballot initiative process for the BOD. The BOD approved contracting with them, and their partner Jim Fleming, to work with MNA on the safe staffing ballot initiative campaign.
- The BOD approved the 2013-2014 Legislative Agenda as recommended by the Congress on Health Policy and Legislation.
- The BOD approved the appointments of Beth Amsler and Suzannah Damaa to the Congress on Nursing Practice.
- The BOD approved the “Position Statement Opposing Mandatory Masking of Health Care Workers as a Flu Prevention Strategy, 2012-2013”.
- The Labor Directors updated the BOD on the bargaining units in their networks. UMass is wrapping up its “Twelve Days of Grinchmas” campaign. The MNA is meeting weekly with Steward to discuss the pension issue. Holy Family had a very successful Candlelight Vigil on December 10th. Cape Cod VNA ratified their tentative agreement. Unit 7’s Brockton/Norton Crisis Center is meeting with the Commissioner in January to discuss staffing issues. A nurse there was forced to work 17 hours.
- The MNA/NNU Delegates attended the BOD meeting to report on the NNU Convention.
- SAVE THE DATE – the Labor Leader Summit will be Friday, March 22, 2013 with a reception the night before. More information to follow.