Membership Frequently Asked Questions

Membership Questions

Membership Discounts

Member Opportunities


Q. How do I join the MNA?

A.Please visit our Join MNA page or call the MNA Division of Membership at 781.830.5732 or e-mail your name and address to


Q. What are the different payment options for membership dues?

There are two forms of payment:

  • Direct payment - annual, 3 installments or automatic monthly bank draft or credit card.
  • Payroll deduction - there is a $52 additional service charge for this option.


Q. How do I qualify for reduced membership rate?


Reduced membership is available for those who are:

  • Full time student (minimum 12 credits)*
  • New graduate from basic nursing education program (within 6 months of graduation)*
  • Not employed
  • Retired (not employed)
  • Age 62 or over not earning more than social security allows
  • Age 62 or over and not employed (Special Membership)*

*Documentation may be required.


Q. How do I change to a new account number for a monthly bank draft (EFT) or credit card?

A.For automatic bank draft or EFT please fax or mail a copy of a voided check from the new account to 781.821.4445 or Massachusetts Nurses Association, 340 Turnpike Street, Canton, MA 02021. For automatic credit card you may call the MNA Division of Membership at 781.830.5726. Please make changes by the 10th of the month for processing.


Q. What happens once my application and payment is received and processed?


About 4-6 weeks after application is processed you will receive a welcome packet and a membership card (mailed separately) which will also include your MNA email, username and password.


Q. What if local unit dues are required at my facility but not listed on the application?

A.Please contact the Division of Membership at 781.830.5726 to get your dues amount which will include the local unit dues.


Q. I've misplaced my membership card, how can I obtain a new one?

A.You may email or you can call 781.830.5726 and a duplicate card will be mailed to you.


Q. What do I do if I have not been receiving the Massachusetts Nurse Newsletter or other MNA mailings?

A.Contact the Member Services Department at 781.830.5726 or e-mail us at to check your membership record as well as verify your mailing address.


Q. What is the difference between full membership, agency service fee, and associate membership?



  • Full membership: You are a member of the collective bargaining unit at that facility, and also a member of MNA. Full members can vote on contract issues, participate on bargaining unit committees and have access to all MNA membership benefits.
  • Agency fee: If you are employed at a facility where there is a collective bargaining agreement between the employer and the MNA, you are required to either join the MNA or pay an agency fee, as a condition of employment. If you choose to pay the agency fee, you are a member of the collective bargaining unit at that facility, but not a member of MNA as a professional association. Agency fee payers do not have access to any MNA membership benefits. At most facilities, agency fee payers have no voting rights.
  • Associate membership: Any registered nurse who is a member not covered by an MNA collective bargaining agreement. You will receive a membership card, Mass Nurse Newsletter and can be appointed to any congress, committee, or task force, and may take advantage of MNA’s free CE programs. You, however, can not vote on issues or serve as an officer or on the Board of Directors or run for an MNA office.


Q. I am going on a leave of absence, do I need to pay dues? (Also applies to workers compensation, disability and industrial accident).

A.Yes. You must notify the Division of Membership at 781.830.5726 or e-mail before or once you begin your unpaid leave of absence. At that time we will adjust your membership dues and bill you at the reduced rate.


Q. Why did I get a bill for dues...I thought dues were deducted from my paycheck, monthly draft (EFT) or credit card?

A.If you work per diem or miss deductions for any reason (returned check, did not work some time, credit card closed etc) you are responsible for the missed deductions and will be billed directly from MNA.


Q. What happens to my membership if I leave my bargaining unit?

A.Most employers do not notify the MNA of employee terminations. Unless we hear from you, we will keep your membership active and bill you accordingly.


Q. Are my membership dues tax deductible?

A.A portion of membership dues are tax deductible. Federal law disallows the portion of your membership dues used for lobbying expenses. This portion is published every year in the Massachusetts Nurse Newsletter. Please consult your professional tax preparation advisor for additional questions or call the MNA at 800.882.2056.


Q. How do I join the Massachusetts Student Nurses Association (MaSNA) or National Student Nurses Association (NSNA)?

Please visit the MaSNA or NSNA Web sites.


Q. How do I obtain MNA discount information?

A.Discounts are available to MNA members who are in good standing. You may visit our discount page or you may call 781.830.5726 with any questions.


Q. How do I order movie passes at the discounted rate?

A.Discount movie passes are available for Showcase (National Amusements), AMC and Regal Theatres. Passes can be ordered through the mail by simply sending a check to the MNA, 340 Turnpike St, Canton, MA 02021 (indicating the quantity and theater). For phone orders or additional questions please call 781.830.5726.


Q. Does MNA offer liability insurance?

A.The Massachusetts Nurses Association recommends the Nurses Service Organization (NSO) for liability insurance. Visit their Web site at You may also contact them at 800.247.1500.


Q. Are scholarships available to MNA members?

A.Scholarships are available though the Massachusetts Nurses Foundation for members who are pursuing their baccalaureate, masters or doctoral degree. Vist our Scholarship section for more information.


Q. How can I be appointed to an MNA group, congress, committee, district or task force?

Visit our Elections and Appointments to MNA Offices section.


Q. How can I be elected to an MNA office?

A.MNA elected offices are posted for the upcoming election in the Massachusetts Nurse and on our Web site between January and June. To be elected you must print out and complete the Consent to Serve form and return to the MNA at 340 Turnpike Street, Canton, MA 02021 or fax 781.821.4445 by the postmarked deadline. Visit our elections section for more information. For questions please contact the Director of Membership at 781.830.5741.